Thursday, March 12, 2009

a space to call my own.

a friend recently gave me some really good advice. 'do something that can't be undone every day.' it really got me to thinking that it's a bit of a tragedy that i live in this house and don't have a square foot that's just for me....for the things that i don't want undone. i spend so much time reorganizing thelma's art supplies, why don't i do this for myself?

so, i did. and i am thrilled with what i came up with. this is the little nook at the top of our stairs. most of the floor is thelma's bedroom, but i have now claimed this little space. our activity yesterday (in lieu of chit chat club!)...was painting the walls! i found a pint of paint in the shop that i had picked out for the kitchen, and delip thought it was too blue. so, i used it here. thelma did (most of) the rolling all by herself!



i love yarn...the colors, textures, all of the fibers working together to create something beautiful. OK, not always beautiful, but not easily undone! i couldn't resist the urge to arrange my stash into this rainbow of wool.



this sewing machine was given to me by my grandma florence, who passed away last spring. i think it probably dates to the 1960's, and still works like a charm. i've only recently begun to take sewing seriously, but am looking forward to the day when the built-in cupboards in my space will be home to piles and piles of fabric.



only thing missing? YOU. come over anytime and we can drink coffee and tea and create something together...

2 comments:

Anne said...

I am there Allisa! I love the space you created JUST for yourself -- it is so important! Looks great. See you soon.

paige said...

so wonderful. i miss you!