Thursday, February 28, 2008

"friends" of my past.

So, Anne and I went to the birth movie a month ago and I ran in to an old friend from high school. I hadn't seen Lisa since her wedding day, which was the summer of 2000. Its amazing how people blossom so unexpectedly. I never knew we had so much in common!

So, Lisa has a mySpace account, and now I have one too...which I made so I could be her mySpace friend and see pictures of her little girl, Mia. After firmly avoiding networking sites like these for years, I am now a member of mySpace and facebook. I already had a facebook account that I had used to track down a friend from college, but Anne was my only friend, until 2 days ago, when I became Lisa's friend. Now, everyone and their cousin from my high school is sending me friend requests. I don't even want to be "friends" with these people!!! But if I deny the requests, I'm gonna look like a big-time jerk, right?!? Looks like its back to avoiding.

I guess, more than anything, it makes me think about what a "friend" is. I can count the number of true friends I've had in my life on both my hands, and I am content with that. Quality, not quantity....exactly the reason I've been cooping myself up in this house all winter. I don't want any more friends. Except Paige is right. I need to be a part of a community. So, yesterday, I took Thelma to a playgroup, and I met 6 other moms and their kids. Thelma had such a good time that she cried when it was time to leave, and I'll admit...it felt good to get out of the house.

Spring IS almost here. I can't believe how much more daylight we've been having, and soon the crocuses I planted in the yard last fall will be peaking out of the snow. Everything is nearly anew.

1 comment:

Anne said...

I am so glad the playgroup went well - sounds like Thelma loved "solializing"! Now if I could just get Judy a playgroup :)