Wednesday, February 06, 2008

torn.

On Saturday I waited outside in a line well over a mile long to hear Obama speak in Minneapolis. It was 2 hours before we got inside the doors of the Target Center, but well worth the wait. This man has the kind of energy and charisma that I've been longing for in a president for a long time. He has devoted his life to community service and my heart tells me that he is the one who can bring this country the kind of change it needs.

I'm torn. I am a woman who is constantly outraged by the way women are mistreated and underappreciated in our society. Now, a woman stands a chance at being president, and my heart does not support her. Like me, she is a mother and a wife. Unlike me, she is extrememly wealthy. Fact is, its the fund-raising that bothers me....the acceptance of lobbyist money and now, just in the past couple of days, the contribution of 5 million dollars of her own fortune to continue the surge of her campaign. Its suspected that she is willing to contribute up to 15 million more in order to win her party's nomination. Is this kind of big money the only way for a woman to gain power? It scares me. Furthermore, I am troubled that, since 1989, in a country with over 300,000,000 people, we have not been able to elect a leader outside one of two families. I am ready for change. If Hillary does win the nomination, I will be happy and content and will support her 100%. In the meantime, I'm not convinced that she's what America needs right now. Women around the world, forgive me if I am wrong.

No comments: